Saturday, July 9, 2011

Favorite books? Advice?

Happy Saturday everyone! Welcome to all the new folks who have recently found their way to my bookshelf. Thank you for the e-mails that let me know you are enjoying your browsing. I welcome your comments, you can leave them here or write to me at bethsbookshelf[at]aol[dot]com

I would actually like to hear from you on something specific--this weekend I am preparing for a workshop that I'll give Monday morning to a small group of teachers who will be developing lessons for the Illuminations site. I am always eager for an opportunity to talk about children's literature and mathematics. As always, I have already gathered far more books than I will be able to share during the two-hour session. Help me edit myself down so I focus in on the best of the best. When someone asks for suggestions on great book for teaching math concepts what are the top titles in your list? Do you have any advice as far as what makes one book better than another to use during your math lessons?

Today I'll leave you with a few sources for teaching ideas:

The Wonderful World of Mathematics: A Critically Annotated List of Children's Books in Mathematics is the first teaching resource for math related children's literature that I bought for my personal collection. Now in it's second edition, this book is analyzes the content of more than 550 titles. Chapters organize the books by math topic.

Hand's on Math and Literature with Math Start is a fantastic new series written by Don Balka and Richard Callan that is packed with great teaching activities and reproducibles that extend the mathematics found in Stuart Murphy's Math Start series. Of course Murphy's titles can always be counted on to engage children in math concepts. Now this series by Balka and Callan help you extend the investigations with more hands-on activity ideas that explore the math concepts with more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment